How to claim

Complete the following steps to claim Stillborn Baby Payment. Before you start, check if you can get it.

Steps to claim Stillborn Baby Payment


    1. Get ready to claim

    The easiest way to claim is online.

    You have up to 52 weeks to claim. This starts from your baby’s date of birth.

    We may be able to give you more time if you need it because:

    • you had a severe illness to do with the birth
    • you applied for Parental Leave Pay but couldn’t get it.

    To claim online, you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.

    You may need to prove your identity with us before you start your claim.

    If you can’t claim online, you’ll need to fill in a paper Claim for Bereavement Payment form. The hospital or midwife may have given you this form already.

    If you can't print the form you can either:

    You can post the completed form and any documents we’ve asked for, to:

    Services Australia
    Reply paid 7802
    Canberra BC ACT 2610
    You can also submit it at a service centre.

    2. Get your documents ready to claim

    When claiming, we’ll tell you which documents you need to give us. This may include the Proof of Birth declaration on the back of the Claim for Bereavement Payment form.

    The doctor or midwife who was at the birth must complete the above declaration. If you can’t give us the above declaration, you can give us a letter from the doctor or midwife. The letter must be from the doctor or midwife who was at your baby’s birth and should include:

    • your full name
    • the date and place of birth
    • the baby’s gender
    • the baby’s weight
    • the gestation period.

    Information you need for your claim

    Make sure you have all of this information when claiming:

    • your Centrelink Customer Reference Number if you've dealt with us before
    • your passport number, if you have one
    • the date you first arrived in Australia, if you weren’t born here
    • any dates when you lived outside Australia
    • your bank account details
    • your tax file number
    • your income.

    You’ll need all the same details for your partner as well.


    3. Make your claim

    1. Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
    2. Select Make a claim, then Start a new claim.
    3. Under Families, select Get started.
    4. Select Apply for Family Assistance (including Paid Parental Leave).
    5. Answer all the questions. Each screen has information to help you complete the claim. This includes how to submit your supporting documents.
    6. Submit your claim.

    When you're ready:

    Sign in to myGov


    4. After you claim

    After you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:

    • your claim was submitted
    • a receipt number.

    We’ll let you know the result of your application. We’ll send a message to your myGov Inbox.

    If you don't get electronic letters, we'll send you a letter in the mail.

    If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.

    If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.

Page last updated: 3 March 2022