How to claim

Complete the following steps to claim Special Benefit. Before you start, check if you can get it.

Steps to claim Special Benefit


    1. Get ready to claim

    The easiest way to claim is online. Claiming online makes sure you include all your information and documents. You can also check the progress of your claim.

    If you have a correspondence nominee they can claim for you online.

    If you or your nominee don’t have a myGov or Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up. You’ll need your Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN) to link your Centrelink online account to myGov.

    If you’re a non-resident parent or guardian claiming on behalf of an Australian citizen or permanent resident child, you can’t claim online or by phone. You must use a paper form to claim.


    2. Get your documents ready to claim

    During your claim, we’ll ask you to give us some documents to support your claim. These depend on your situation and the questions we need to ask you.

    Check that you have the right supporting documents ready to go with your claim. We can’t process your claim until we have all the required documents.


    3. Make your claim

    If you can claim online

    1. Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
    2. Select Payments and Claims from the menu, then Make a claim followed by Make a claim again.
    3. Under Other payments, select Get started.
    4. Select Apply for Special Benefit.
    5. Answer all the questions. Each screen has information to help you complete the claim. This includes how to submit your supporting documents.
    6. Submit your claim.

    When you're ready:

    Sign in to myGov

    If you can't claim online

    You can claim by phone.

    Call us on the Centrelink Employment Services line.

    If you prefer to speak to someone in your own language, call the Centrelink Multilingual phone service. Ask to speak to an interpreter.

    If you’re a non-resident parent or guardian claiming on behalf of an Australian citizen or permanent resident child, you must fill in and sign the Claim for Special Benefit form.

    Make sure you attach all the supporting documents we ask for. This may include some other related forms you may need to complete.


    4. Track your claim

    After you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt. It’ll tell you:

    • your claim submission was successful
    • the ID number of your claim
    • a link you need to track its progress.

    You can track the progress of your claim online. Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink, or use the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

    We’ll send you a letter to let you know the result of your application. If you get letters online, check your myGov Inbox or Express Plus Centrelink mobile app. If you don’t get your letters online, we’ll post the letter to your home address.

    We’ll ask you for more details if we need them.

    You can ask us to review our decision if you think we’ve made a mistake.

Page last updated: 8 July 2022