We usually pay the allowance to the correctional facility. If your correctional facility supports paying you the allowance, we can pay it to you.
Steps to claim ABSTUDY Lawful Custody Allowance
1. Get your documents ready
You’ll need to get some documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim. You’ll need your:
- tax file number
- invoices or receipts
- proof of enrolment from your education provider, unless you’re studying a secondary course, or higher education course at university
- the ABSTUDY Lawful Custody Allowance claim for reimbursement form (SY108) – certifying the costs are essential.
2. Make your claim
Print and complete the Claim for ABSTUDY Student or Australian Apprentice in lawful custody form.
You must submit your claim with your documents by 31 March in the year immediately after the year of study.
To submit your claim form, follow these steps:
- Check you’ve answered all questions.
- Sign and date the claim form.
- Attach any supporting documents.
- Submit your claim to us.
You can submit your claim form in 1 of the following ways:
online by uploading your documents online
- by post to:
Reply Paid 7804
CANBERRA BC ACT 2610
3. Wait for the result of your claim
We’ll let you know the result of your claim by mail or electronic letter.
If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.
You can ask us to review our decision if you think we’ve made a mistake.
If you need help, call the ABSTUDY line.