Who can get it

You can get ABSTUDY Lawful Custody Allowance if you’re in custody and meet certain conditions.

You may be able to get this allowance if you meet all of the following:

  • you’re of Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent
  • identify as an Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
  • accepted as Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander in the community in which you live or did live
  • an Australian citizen
  • in custody for more than 2 weeks
  • not getting any other government assistance to study or to complete your Australian Apprenticeship
  • enrolled in an approved full time or part time course, or undertaking a full time Australian Apprenticeship.

Approved courses can include:

  • some language, literacy and numeracy courses including English as a second language
  • pre-vocational or vocational education and training programs
  • preparatory courses for tertiary education
  • school-based apprenticeship or traineeships
  • an accredited secondary course through a secondary school or TAFE, higher education institution or special school
  • a range of tertiary courses
  • Indigenous Special Course of study provided by a TAFE or a correctional services authority.
Page last updated: 4 May 2022.
QC 53544