You may be able to get this allowance if you meet all of the following:
- you’re of Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent
- identify as an Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- accepted as Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander in the community in which you live or did live
- an Australian citizen
- in custody for more than 2 weeks
- not getting any other government assistance to study or to complete your Australian Apprenticeship
- enrolled in an approved full time or part time course, or undertaking a full time Australian Apprenticeship.
Approved courses can include:
- some language, literacy and numeracy courses including English as a second language
- pre-vocational or vocational education and training programs
- preparatory courses for tertiary education
- school-based apprenticeship or traineeships
- an accredited secondary course through a secondary school or TAFE, higher education institution or special school
- a range of tertiary courses
- Indigenous Special Course of study provided by a TAFE or a correctional services authority.