Carer Payment

A payment if you give constant care to someone with disability or a medical condition, or an adult who’s frail aged.

This payment can help you if you provide constant care to someone who needs care for at least 6 months. This payment is also if you’re caring for someone at the end of their life.

You can care for one or more people, in your house, their home or in hospital. If you care for more than one person, read about caring for multiple people.

The amount of Carer Payment you get depends on your personal circumstances. This includes any income you or your partner get from employment. Carer Payment is taxable if you or the person you care for are Age Pension age.

You may still get Carer Payment if you take time away from caring for up to 25 hours a week to work, study or train.

Claiming Carer Payment

You can claim at any time. If you’re eligible for Carer Payment we usually only pay you from the date you lodge your claim.

When you start your claim, we’ll ask you about the person you care for and the care they need. We’ll tell you if you need to give us any supporting evidence.

If we don’t already have this information, we’ll ask you to complete medical forms.

Find out if you can get it.

If you can’t get this payment there could be other payments better suited to your needs.

There are other organisations who can help you and the person you care for. Read more about services in your state and getting support.

Page last updated: 10 May 2024.
QC 21816