Breaking up

If you break up with your partner, you need to tell us so we can keep paying you the right amount.

How to tell us

When you get a payment from us, you need to keep us up to date with changes to your circumstances.

If you break up or separate, you’ll need to tell us within 14 days. Read about how to tell us when you’re separating.

You may also need to change your address or contact information. If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov you can update your details online.

To do this:

  1. Sign in to myGov.
  2. Select My Details.
  3. Under Personal and contact details select Update contact details then follow the prompts to update your details.

Sign in to myGov

Read more about how to update your details.

We take your privacy seriously. Whether you are leaving a relationship or living with abuse or violence, you should learn how you can keep your information safe.

If you share a Medicare card

If your family circumstances change, you can ask for a new card for yourself and your children. Read more about adding or removing someone from your Medicare Card.

If there are any changes to who’s in your registered Medicare Safety Net family, it’s important to let us know. Read more about how to manage your Medicare Safety Nets.

What to do if you separate with children

We have information and can help with child support arrangements between separated parents.

If you have children with your ex-partner, you may need to apply for child support. You can start by using our online tool to apply for child support.

What to do if you have safety concerns

If you have concerns about your safety, we may be able to help. We can help you if there’s a family and domestic violence situation. Talk to us if you’re in, have left, or are preparing to leave this relationship.

How to apply for a divorce

If you’re separated, you may decide to divorce. This is a legal process, and you should seek independent legal advice. Read about applying for a divorce on the Federal Circuit Court of Australia website.

How to register spousal support

Spousal support is financial support paid by one person to an ex-partner. If you have a spousal or de facto maintenance order, you may be able to register it with us for collection.

Read more about registering a maintenance order or court registered maintenance agreement.

There are rules if the maintenance liability is made outside Australia and in a reciprocating jurisdiction. Read more about registering a maintenance liability made outside Australia.

How to manage your money

Find out more on how to sort out your finances when you break up on the Moneysmart website. It details the first steps you need to take and how to organise your bills.

Page last updated: 28 June 2023.
QC 60032