You’re doing an approved special course

You may get a higher rate of ABSTUDY Living Allowance if you live away from home to do an approved special course.

This is if no government school within reasonable travel time or access offers one. An approved special course is:

  • study in drama, music, art, dance, sport or technology at a government school with special school status in the subject
  • a secondary course with 2 agricultural subjects
  • a full time secondary course that gives you a specialist qualification
  • a secondary course that’s a prerequisite for a specific tertiary course.

A special course can also include a secondary course with an Indigenous studies subject that is all of the following:

  • accredited for exams by the state or territory education authority
  • endorsed by the local state or territory Indigenous Advisory Group, or another formally recognised authority
  • where you study at least 4 hours per week.

The state or territory education authority must approve the course at the government school you’re enrolled in.

Find out what approved special courses are in your state or territory.

Page last updated: 10 December 2021