on this page
Scholarship to an independent boarding school
You may get a higher rate if you live away from home because you’re offered a scholarship to an independent boarding school. For you to get the higher rate all of the following need to apply:
- it’s an approved school and course of secondary studies
- boarding is a necessary part of the school
- the scholarship covers at least $6,309 or 25% of your total board and tuition, whichever is greater.
Scholarship to a Highly Effective or High Expectations School
You may get a higher rate if you live away from home because you’re offered a scholarship and it’s both:
- for an approved school and course of secondary studies
- an Australian Government supported scholarship.
An Australian Government supported scholarship paid under the Australian Government’s Indigenous Advancement Strategy. This includes scholarships such as:
- Indigenous Youth Leadership Program
- Madalah SOAR Scholarship
- Presbyterian Ladies’ College Indigenous Scholarship Program – Peppermint Grove Western Australia
- MADEC Indigenous Young People’s Program
- Yalari Education Pathways Program
- Sporting Chance Program or similar projects paid under the Australian Government’s Indigenous Advancement Strategy, including at former Sporting Chance Academies.
Other Australian Government supported scholarships include:
- Cape York Institute's Academic Leaders - Secondary
- Higher Expectations Program - Northern Territory
- Rosemary Bishop Indigenous Education Scholarship
- Kajji Foundation Scholarship
- Australian Indigenous Education Foundation Scholarship Program
- Woomera Educational Scholarship Trust
- Kimberley Education Excellence Program
- Northern Territory Government Indigenous Education Excellence Scholarship
- Ngurra Jirama Foundation Scholarship.
If you’re not sure, call us on the ABSTUDY line and we can tell you if your scholarship is approved.
Transition School Scholarship
You may get a higher rate if you live away from home because you’re offered a scholarship to either:
- the Melbourne Indigenous Transition School (MITS) to help you get a scholarship at a high performing school
- a MITS partner school after completing the MITS program.