Applying during temporary financial hardship

If you already get Child Care Subsidy, complete the following steps to apply for the temporary financial hardship subsidy.

If you don’t currently get Child Care Subsidy for your child, you need to submit a claim for it online. We’ll ask some questions within this claim to check your eligibility for Additional Child Care Subsidy Temporary Financial Hardship. Read more about how to claim Child Care Subsidy.

Steps to apply for Additional Child Care Subsidy Temporary Financial Hardship


    1. Get ready to apply

    The easiest way to apply is online.

    To apply online, you need a Centrelink online account linked to myGov. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to create them.

    You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the application.


    2. Make your application

    If your Centrelink account is linked to myGov you can apply online.

    To do this:

    1. Sign in to myGov.
    2. From the menu, select My Family.
    3. Under Child care select Temporary financial hardship then follow the prompts to complete your application.

    Sign in to myGov


    3. After you apply

    After you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you the ID number of your application.

    This receipt will tell you what other documents you need to provide so we can assess your application.

    We’ll let you know the result of your application. We’ll send a message to your myGov Inbox.

    If you don't get electronic letters, we'll send you a letter in the mail.

    If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.

    If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.

Page last updated: 3 April 2023.
QC 44461