If your child is eligible for ABSTUDY, depending on their age and where they’re studying, we have the following payments:
- ABSTUDY School Term Allowance, help with the cost of your child’s secondary schooling if they live at home
- ABSTUDY School Fees Allowance, help with the cost of school fees for secondary students
- ABSTUDY Fares Allowance, help with travel costs between home and study location if they need to live away from home.
A primary school student is only eligible if they’re 14 or older on 1 January in the year of study.
If you’re aged 16 or older, you may get:
- ABSTUDY Living Allowance, help with living costs while studying or training
- Additional Assistance, help if you get Living Allowance and have severe financial difficulties.
If you’re aged 18 years or older, you may get ABSTUDY Incidentals Allowance. A payment to help with the cost of starting or continuing study or training.
If you need to be away from home or your study location, you may get ABSTUDY Away from Base Assistance.
You may get more than 1 ABSTUDY payment at a time. Depending on your situation you may only have to apply once.
ABSTUDY School Term Allowance
A payment to help with the cost of your Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander child’s secondary schooling. They need to be living at home.
ABSTUDY School Fees Allowance
Helps with the cost of school fees for Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander secondary students and their families.
ABSTUDY Fares Allowance
Helps with travel costs between your home and place of study if you get ABSTUDY and need to live away from home.
ABSTUDY Living Allowance
A fortnightly payment to help Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians with living costs while studying or training.
ABSTUDY Incidentals Allowance
A payment to help Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians with the cost of starting or continuing study or training.