Part time higher education study

There’s ABSTUDY support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students doing an approved course part time.

You may get ABSTUDY if you’re doing a part time higher education course. Higher education includes any of the following:

What help you can get

ABSTUDY is a group of payments and support. Watch this video to learn how ABSTUDY can help when you’re in part time higher education.

To help with the costs of starting or continuing study, you can get ABSTUDY Incidentals Allowance.

This is a single payment you can get at the start of either:

  • each course, for courses under a year long
  • each year of your course, for longer courses.

If you get Incidentals Allowance, you may be able to claim ABSTUDY Away from Base Assistance. This is for travel to a study activity away from your home or campus for a short period.

To get help with travel between your home and study location, you can get ABSTUDY Fares Allowance.

You may also need to attend study activities away from your home or campus, for a short period. You can claim ABSTUDY Away from Base Assistance to help you.

How to get started

Before you claim, read about your eligibility for each ABSTUDY payment.

You can claim ABSTUDY Incidentals Allowance online up to 13 weeks before you start your course.

If you get Incidentals Allowance, you can also claim Away from Base Assistance either:

If you need help or can’t claim online because of a medical condition or special circumstances, call the ABSTUDY line.

Page last updated: 19 March 2024.
QC 63603