Higher education includes university, TAFE and study at other approved higher education providers.
What help you can get
ABSTUDY is a group of payments and support. Watch this video to learn how ABSTUDY can help when you’re in higher education.
The main payment for full time higher education students is ABSTUDY Living Allowance. We pay it each fortnight to help with living costs while you’re studying.
We also pay ABSTUDY Incidentals Allowance on it’s own or as an extra if you get Living Allowance. This is a one off payment to help with the costs of starting or continuing study.
If you get ABSTUDY Living Allowance you may also get other payments such as:
- ABSTUDY Additional Assistance, if you’re in severe financial stress
- Rent Assistance
- Student Start-up Loan.
Help if you have high essential course costs
If you have high essential course costs, we pay ABSTUDY Additional Incidentals Allowance . This helps with costs like union fees, library fees, laboratory fees and textbook costs.
Help with travel costs
If you need to live away from home to study, ABSTUDY Fares Allowance helps with travel costs.
ABSTUDY Away from Base Assistance also helps with short trips to a study activity away from your home or campus.
If you get ABSTUDY Living Allowance, you may also get:
- Relocation Scholarship, if you’re moving to or from a regional or remote area
- Remote Area Allowance, if you’re living in a remote area.
How to get started
Before you claim, read about the eligibility for each ABSTUDY payment.
You can claim ABSTUDY Living Allowance online up to 13 weeks before the start of your course. If you claim Living Allowance, you don’t need to claim Incidentals Allowance separately. We’ll pay it automatically.
If you’re not eligible for Living Allowance, you can claim ABSTUDY Incidentals Allowance on its own. You can claim up to 13 weeks before the start of your course.
You can also claim:
- ABSTUDY Additional Incidentals Allowance up to 13 weeks before you start your course
- ABSTUDY Fares Allowance before your trip or after your trip
- ABSTUDY Away from Base Assistance before your activity or after your activity
- Additional Assistance when you need extra help and at risk of dropping your studies.
If you need help or can’t claim online because of a medical condition or special circumstances, call the ABSTUDY line.