We have information in different languages about Youth and long term payment recipients
For Centrelink payments and services, you can call our multilingual phone service.
Your payments can be income managed if you live in the Northern Territory, and you're 15 to 24 years old. You must have also had one of the following payments for 3 of the last 6 months:
If you live in the Northern Territory and you’re 25 to Age Pension age your payments can be income managed. You must have also had one of the following payments for more than 12 of the last 24 months:
What happens to your money
We'll manage both:
- 50% of your regular payments
- 100% of any advance and lump sum payments.
The rest of your payments will be paid as usual.
When you're exempt from Income Management
You may be able to get an exemption from Income Management.
If you’re exempt, Income Management stops for 12 months unless your circumstances change.
If you don’t have dependent children
You can be exempt if you either:
- are a full time student or apprentice
- had less than 25% of your basic rate of payment for at least 4 of the last 6 fortnights
- get Special Benefit and are 16 or older.
If you have dependent children
You can be exempt if all of the following apply:
- we decide you are financially secure
- your children’s immunisations are up to date
- your children are participating in age appropriate activities.
We’ll tell you what you need to give us to get an exemption. This will depend on the age of your children, such as:
- immunisation records
- a report from a medical practitioner or nurse
- a report from an allied health professional such as a speech, occupational or physical therapist
- evidence they attend preschool, school or childcare services
- an absentee report from your child’s school – we may need more information if attendance isn’t regular.
You’ll have 28 days to provide evidence if requested.
If your partner wants an exemption, they will need to request this themselves.
For more information, call the BasicsCard General Enquiry line to speak with someone about Income Management.