Who can get it

To get this one-off payment you must have entered Australia on a certain visa subclass and meet other eligibility criteria.


You must meet all of the following:

  • be eligible for, or getting, an income support payment or ABSTUDY Living Allowance
  • be in severe financial hardship
  • have arrived in Australia as a humanitarian entrant for the first time on a certain visa subclass
  • be in Australia when you submit your claim
  • contact us within 7 days of your first arrival in Australia.

Visa subclasses

You must hold one of these humanitarian visas to get the payment:

  • 200 - Refugee
  • 201 - In-Country Special Humanitarian
  • 202 - Global Special Humanitarian (Special Humanitarian Programme - SHP)
  • 203 - Emergency Rescue
  • 204 - Woman at Risk.

You can’t get this payment if you’re an Australian citizen.

If you can’t get this Crisis Payment, read about other crisis and special help you can get.

Contact us

To get this payment you must contact us, or make a claim within 7 days of your first arrival in Australia.

We consider you to have made contact if you do one of these to get a payment or concession card:

  • begin a claim using your Centrelink online account linked to myGov
  • call us on your regular payment line
  • visit a service centre.

After contacting us, you must submit your claim within 14 days.

Page last updated: 26 July 2023.
QC 52767