When and how to tell us about your travel

When you get Parental Leave Pay for a child born or adopted before 1 July 2023, you may need to tell us if you’re leaving Australia.

You need to tell us if you’re leaving Australia and any of the following apply, you:

If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov, sign in now to tell us about your travel plans.

Sign in to myGov

We may ask you for supporting documents about your travel. If we do, you should give us your evidence supporting documents before you leave Australia. The documents you need to provide depend on your circumstances. If you don’t give us the evidence before you leave Australia, your payment may stop when you depart. If we’ve stopped your payment, we’ll reassess it once we get your supporting documents.

You can do this via your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can also use your online account to get information on how your travel could affect your payments and concession cards.

You can call the Families line to discuss your circumstances further.

Learn how to create an online account if you don’t already have one.

If you can’t use an online account, tell us your travel plans by either:

Australia’s immigration department will tell us when you leave. They will also tell us when you return.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 24 November 2023.
QC 64468