What the options are

There are 2 options for phone self service.

Self service line

Call 136 240 to:

  • check payment information, such as past and future payments
  • complete your Rent Assistance review
  • apply for an advance payment
  • hear your Working Credit or Income Bank balance.

You can ask us to mail you any of the following:

  • replacement concession or health care card
  • income statement
  • Centrelink payment summary
  • reporting statement
  • income management statement.

Reporting line

Call 133 276 each fortnight to report your employment income.

Page last updated: 10 December 2021