Travel outside Australia

The travel rules for your main payment affect your Pharmaceutical Allowance when you travel outside Australia.

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your allowance will stop when you depart.

If your travel is short term, you may continue to get Pharmaceutical Allowance for up to 26 weeks. But you must be getting your main payment. If your main payment stops, so will your Pharmaceutical Allowance.

Check the travel rules for your main payment while outside Australia to find out:

  • if you can get your payment when you depart
  • when and how to tell us about your travel plans.

Australia’s immigration department will tell us when you leave. They will also tell us when you return.

Page last updated: 29 June 2023.
QC 51632