Travel outside Australia

There are rules about how long your Foster Child Health Care Card remains current when you travel outside Australia.

If you or your foster child leave Australia to live in another country, we’ll cancel your card on departure.

If your foster child travels for a short term, your card will remain current for up to 6 weeks. After 6 weeks, we’ll cancel your card and you’ll need to reapply once your foster child returns to Australia.

When and how to tell us about your travel

When you hold a Foster Child Health Care Card, you need to tell us if either of these apply:

  • you or your foster child are leaving to live in another country
  • your foster child will be away for more than 6 weeks.

If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov, sign in now to tell us about your travel plans. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to create them.

Sign in to myGov

You can also use your online account to get information on how your travel could affect your payments and concession cards.

If you can’t use an online account, tell us your travel plans by either:

Australia’s immigration department will tell us when you or your foster child leave. They will also tell us when you or your foster child return.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 29 June 2023.
QC 45591