Transfer to Age Pension

If you’re Age Pension age and get an eligible payment, you can apply to transfer to Age Pension.

Transferring is simpler and easier than completing a full Age Pension claim.

Age Pension is the main payment if you’re Age Pension age. However, this depends on your circumstances and the payment you get.

If you get an eligible payment, we’ll send you an invitation to transfer 13 weeks before you reach Age Pension age.

We’ll tell you what you need to do and what you might be able to get. You’ll need to tell us if you:

  • want to apply to transfer to Age Pension or not
  • have superannuation, because any superannuation you have may affect your rate of payment.

Your current payment may stop once you turn Age Pension age if you don’t:

  • complete the online transfer
  • return the paper form
  • provide the information we’ve asked for.

If you’re having trouble providing information we’ve asked for before you reach Age Pension age, tell us. You can call the Older Australians line to let us know. Our invitation to apply to transfer doesn’t mean you’re eligible for Age Pension. We still need to assess whether you meet Age Pension eligibility requirements.

You may be able to transfer to Age Pension after you’ve reached Age Pension age if you’re getting an eligible payment. You can do this in your online account or call us on the Older Australians line for help.

If you decide to transfer to Age Pension and you’re not eligible, we may continue paying your current payment.

To check which payment is best for you, ensure your current payment is eligible for transfer to Age Pension. Then compare the details of your current payment with those of Age Pension, for example:

  • regular payment amounts
  • any supplements or additional payments you may be able to get
  • the amount of Rent Assistance you can get
  • how your payment may change if you travel outside Australia
  • the income and assets limits
  • how employment income may affect your payments.

If you’re not sure which payment is best for you, call the Older Australians line to discuss your circumstances.

If you identify as an Indigenous Australian you can call the Centrelink Indigenous Call Centre if you prefer.

Page last updated: 6 June 2022.
QC 31161