Taking time off work

You may need to take time off work to care for someone. We have payments and services to help you.

You may be able to get different payments and services, depending on your circumstances. This will depend on how much you get paid and the hours of work or study you do. Read about the support you can get and getting a payment.

Working while caring

As a carer, you have rights in the workplace. It helps to know your rights so you can get the help you need to combine working while caring.

If you need to reduce your working hours, find out from your employer what support is available to you in your workplace. Read more about flexibility in the workplace on the Fair Work Ombudsman website.

The Department of Social Services Carer Gateway has advice and support for carers. Read about working while caring on the Carer Gateway website.

Tasks you can do online

If you’re getting Carer Payment or Carer Allowance, you can use your Centrelink online account through myGov to:

Sign in to myGov

Page last updated: 28 September 2023.
QC 60098