Supporting documents

When you claim the Essential Medical Equipment Payment (EMEP), we’ll ask you for some documents to support your claim.

You can upload documents in your Centrelink online account or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

You can also give them to us by mail or fax, or in person at a service centre.

You or your carer can claim this payment. If you claim and you want your carer to get the payment, you’ll need to complete an Essential Medical Equipment Payment – Equipment User Declaration form. This gives us your approval to pay the payment to your carer.

Your medical practitioner will need to complete the Essential Medical Equipment Payment – Medical confirmation form.

You’ll need to submit the signed forms with your completed claim.

You must give us proof that you or someone you provide care for pays the energy running costs. This can be an electricity or gas bill. You can give this to us later if you don’t have it when you submit your claim.

We may also ask you to give us proof to show that either:

  • you qualify for help from a state or territory government scheme
  • the Department of Veterans’ Affairs supplied the medical equipment.

If you already get a payment and you change address, you’ll need to claim again. If you use the same medical equipment at your new address, you won’t need to provide medical evidence with your new claim.

Page last updated: 3 March 2022.
QC 54711