Steps to claim Essential Medical Equipment Payment
If you already get an Essential Medical Equipment Payment you don’t need to claim again. We’ll keep paying you each year until your circumstances change.
You only need to submit another claim if you either:
- get an extra piece of equipment that you need to claim
- change your address.
If you change your address, we’ll cancel your claims at the old address and your payments will stop. You’ll then need to submit a new claim for the equipment, heating or cooling at your new address. If you use the same medical equipment at your new address, you won’t need to provide medical evidence with your claim.
1. Get ready to claim
The best way to claim is online.
To claim online, you need a myGov account linked to your Centrelink online account.
If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.
You may need to prove your identity with us before you start your claim.
If you can’t claim online you can complete the Claim for Essential Medical Equipment Payment form. If you’re claiming for more than one person in your home, you can use the Claim for Essential Medical Equipment Payment – Multiple Claim form instead.
If you can’t access a claim form, you can either:
2. Get your documents ready to claim
You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready to help you answer some questions in the claim.
3. Make your claim
- Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
- Select Payments and Claims from the menu, select Make a claim, then Make a claim again, then Disabled, ill or injured and Get started.
- Under Essential Medical Equipment Payment, select Apply for Essential Medical Equipment Payment.
- Answer all the questions. Each screen has information to help you complete the claim. This includes how to submit your supporting documents.
- Submit your claim.
When you're ready:
4. After you've submitted your claim
We’ll let you know the result of your claim. We’ll send a message to your myGov Inbox.
If you don't get electronic letters, we'll send you a letter to your home address.
If we need more details, we’ll ask you for them.
If you think we’ve made a mistake, you can ask us to review our decision.
To do your business with us, create a myGov account and link it to Centrelink.
When you claim the Essential Medical Equipment Payment (EMEP), we’ll ask you for some documents to support your claim.