Steps to claim Essential Medical Equipment Payment
If you already get an Essential Medical Equipment Payment you don’t need to claim again. We’ll keep paying you each year until your circumstances change.
You only need to submit another claim if you either:
- get an extra piece of equipment that you need to claim
- change your address.
If you change your address, we’ll cancel your claims at the old address and your payments will stop. You’ll then need to submit a new claim for the equipment, heating or cooling at your new address. If you use the same medical equipment at your new address, you won’t need to provide medical evidence with your claim.
1. Get ready to claim
The best way to claim is online.
To claim online, you need a Centrelink online account linked to myGov. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.
You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready to help you answer some questions in the claim.
You may need to prove your identity with us before you start your claim.
2. Make your claim
If you can claim online
If your Centrelink account is linked to myGov you can apply online.
To do this:
- Sign in to myGov.
- Select Make a claim or view claim status, then Make a claim.
- Under Disabled, ill or injured select Get Started.
- Select Apply for Essential Medical Equipment Payment then follow the prompts to complete your claim.
If you can’t claim online
If you can’t claim online you can download and complete one of these forms:
- if you’re claiming for one person, use the Claim for Essential Medical Equipment Payment form
- if you’re claiming for more than one person living at the same address, use the Claim for Essential Medical Equipment Payment - Multiple Claim form.
If you can’t access a claim form, you can either:
3. After you’ve submitted your claim
We’ll let you know the result of your claim. We’ll send a message to your myGov Inbox.
If you don’t get electronic letters, we’ll send you a letter to your home address.
If we need more details, we’ll ask you for them.
If you think we’ve made a mistake, you can ask us to review our decision.
To do your business with us, create a myGov account and link it to Centrelink.