Renewing and replacing a card

If you're eligible for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, we renew your card before it expires. We can also replace a lost or stolen card.

Renewing a card

If you’re eligible, we’ll post you a new card before your old one expires. If your new card doesn’t arrive, you can request a replacement card.

Requesting a replacement card

If you lose your card or it’s stolen, you’ll need to get a replacement card. We can’t issue a replacement card on the spot in a service centre. We need to have it made, and mailed to you. This can take up to a week.

You can request a replacement card:

We’ll send your replacement card to you in the mail.

The Request a document online guide explains how to order a replacement card online.

If you have a smart device you can view your digital cards in your Express Plus Centrelink or myGov app.

Page last updated: 26 June 2023.
QC 38991