Having a provider number doesn’t mean you’ll get Medicare benefits for all the services you provide.
Some Medicare provider numbers can only be used to refer or request services for your patients.
Claims need to clearly show:
- the address and provider number of the place of practice
- that the service qualifies for Medicare benefits
- that the person who provided the service is a registered medical practitioner at the place of practice.
You should only claim if either:
- while working in a private capacity
- you’re not getting other government funding for your services.
Page last updated: 15 September 2020
This information was printed 18 September 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/organisations/health-professionals/services/medicare/medicare-benefits-health-professionals/claim-benefit/claiming-information. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.