Medicare benefits for health professionals
Information for health professionals about eligibility, applying for a provider number and claiming Medicare benefits.
- You must apply for a unique provider number for each place of practice and profession you practise in.
- You can’t claim a Medicare benefit until we have issued your provider number for that location.
- You can’t use anyone else’s Medicare provider number.
- You aren’t eligible to claim Medicare benefits if we’ve suspended your membership or registration or if it has expired. You’re also no longer eligible if your membership level has changed.
- If you don’t have access to Medicare, you must let patients know before you treat them that they won’t get a Medicare benefit for your services.
We determine eligibility to access Medicare benefits using the Health Insurance Act 1973 (the Act) and related regulations.
Once you’re recognised you can access items in the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS).
How to apply for an initial Medicare provider number, Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) prescriber number or additional provider numbers.
Page last updated: 22 February 2019
This information was printed 13 May 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/organisations/health-professionals/services/medicare/medicare-benefits-health-professionals. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.