Employment Separation Certificates for employers

Employment Separation Certificates help us pay people the right amount from the correct date. You need to complete the certificate within 14 days of the request.

We may ask you to complete an Employment Separation Certificate to get information about someone who has left your employment. We may also do this if someone has decreased their working hours or changed from full time to casual work. You may also get a request from an employee or former employee for an Employment Separation Certificate.

Submit the certificate online

The easiest way to complete and submit an Employment Separation Certificate is online through Centrelink Business Online Services.

Read our guide to submitting an Employment Separation Certificate online.

Register for Centrelink Business Online Services

Register your business with us to use Centrelink Business Online Services. If you're already registered for the Paid Parental Leave scheme, you do not have to register again.


For more information, or for help with completing your registration, please call us on 131 158.

Other ways to submit the certificate

If you cannot use Centrelink Business Online Services, you can download, print and fill out the Employment Separation Certificate form. You can then hand it back to the employee or fax it to us on 132 115.

You can also provide the information on your business letterhead. You, or a pay officer you have authorised, should sign the certificate and keep a copy for your own records.

Circumstances other than termination of employment

You may need to complete a certificate in circumstances other than termination of employment. Use the Reason for separation section to provide more information. For example, you can provide more detail about a decrease in working hours or a change from full time to casual work.

Freedom of Information and the certificate

All the information contained in, or attached to, the certificate may be released to any person under the Freedom of Information Act 1982.

If you want any of this information treated in confidence, please attach a statement indicating which information, and give your reasons. This will be considered if a request is made under the Freedom of Information Act 1982.

Page last updated: 1 January 2021