Non-parent carer

If you provide care for a child and aren’t the parent, you may be able to receive child support from both parents. You must apply for a child support assessment.

Who’s a non-parent carer

A non-parent carer can include:

  • legal guardians
  • grandparents
  • other family members.

Who can apply

You can apply for a non-parent carer child support assessment if both of the following apply. You:

  • care for a child 128 nights or more a year (35% or more care)
  • are not in a domestic relationship with either of the child’s parents.

If you apply for a child support assessment, you must apply to receive child support from both parents, unless:

  • 1 parent is not a resident of Australia or an overseas country Australia has a child support arrangement with
  • 1 parent has died
  • there are special circumstances - for example, the identity of 1 parent is unknown.

We’ll consider other requirements before deciding to accept your application. We also need to be satisfied that the person or people that you name in your application are legally the parents of the child.

Read more in chapters 2.1.1 and 2.1.3 of the Child Support Guide on the Department of Social Services website.

How we work out your child support

We work out your child support based on both parents’ incomes and the amount of care that you and the parents have of the child. We don’t take your income into account.

How to apply

To receive child support if you are a non-parent carer, you’ll need to apply for a child support assessment.

Complete the Application for Child Support assessment - Non-parent carers form or call the child support enquiry line.

Submit your form

Submit your form and any documents we ask you for online, by fax or post. The details are on the form.

Grandparent Advisers can help you with services and forms if you aren’t sure what to do.

Page last updated: 10 December 2021