- You must apply for a unique provider number for each place of practice and profession you practise in.
- You can apply for an additional provider number for a different location or at the same location.
- You can’t claim a Medicare benefit until we've issued your provider number for that location.
- You can’t use anyone else’s Medicare provider number.
- You're not eligible to claim Medicare benefits if we've suspended your membership or registration or if it has expired.
- You're not eligible if your membership level has changed.
- If you don't have access to Medicare, you must let patients know before you treat them that they won't get Medicare benefits for your services.
We determine eligibility to access Medicare benefits using the Health Insurance Act 1973 (the Act) and related regulations.
Once you’re recognised you can access items in the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS).
Find out if you need a Medicare provider number or Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) prescriber number.