Thinking about aged care

If you’re thinking about entering aged care, or researching for someone you know, there are services and payments that can help.

Understanding aged care

We know there are a lot of things to consider when thinking about aged care. The My Aged Care website can help you. Use it to find out about the services and support that may be available to you.

It’ll help you understand the types of care available. Whether it’s either:

  • care in your home
  • after-hospital care
  • respite care
  • residential care
  • short term restorative care.

Go to the My Aged Care website.

Getting help with the costs of aged care

We can subsidise some of the cost of your care. If you’re considering entering an Aged Care facility, or getting help living at home.

Read more about what the first steps are for getting help with aged care.

We can assess your income and assets to see if you can get government subsidised aged care. Read more about aged care means test assessments.

Our free Financial Information Service (FIS) can inform and educate you about financial options when entering aged care. No matter how you fund your retirement, we have information and resources to help when planning your next steps.

Other payments and services

You may be eligible for a bereavement allowance. This is a short term income support payment for someone whose partner has recently died. It’s usually paid for up to 14 weeks.

You can access information, support and short term counselling. If you’re going through a difficult time, find out more about our social work services.

If you have a lot of medical costs, you can claim your Medicare benefits without having to call or visit us. Find out about Medicare claiming.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information. You can use Payment and Service Finder to locate help in your local area.

The Department of Veterans' Affairs provides some in-home and community support programs. They focus on assisting you to continue living independently by supporting your:

  • health
  • wellbeing
  • community connection.

Page last updated: 23 November 2020