Retrenched or made redundant

If you’ve lost your job and got a redundancy or termination payment, you may be able to get help.

Financial Information Service

The Financial Information Service is a free, confidential service that can help you decide about investment and financial issues.

Watch our videos about:

If you get a redundancy and a payment or benefit from us, you will need to tell us.

Watch our videos about getting a redundancy when you:

Social work services

Our social workers can help you during difficult times in your life with counselling, support and information.

Watch this video about how our social workers can help you and how you can talk to one.

Unpaid entitlements

If you think your employer hasn’t paid you your entitlements, you may be able to make a claim. This includes if they went bankrupt or into liquidation.

Read about the Fair Entitlements Guarantee (FEG) on the Attorney-General’s Department website.

You can't claim unpaid employer superannuation contributions through FEG. The Australian Taxation Office website has information about claiming your unpaid superannuation.

Financial relief from loan payments

Your bank or financial institution may offer temporary help with your loan if you’ve lost your job. If you're having trouble paying your loan or mortgage, contact them to find out how they can help.

If they don't agree to a reasonable request, you can ask to have the decision reviewed. You can do this through the Australian Financial Complaints Authority.

Payments and support while you look for work

There are payments and services to support you if you’re in any of the following situations:

You may have to wait before you can get one of our income support payments. An income maintenance period may apply if your employer paid you a lump sum when you finished work.

The Department of Education, Skills and Employment’s What’s Next? website can help you with next steps after your job loss.

Information for employers

We can help you provide support and redundancy information to your employees who are facing redundancy or retrenchment.

Related subjects

Page last updated: 19 October 2021