Payments for families

We have payments and services to help with your child's education and health care.

Payments to help families with children

We provide payments to help you with the costs of raising children.

Our Payment and Service Finder shows you payment options for your family.

Birth and adoption

You might be able to get payments to help take time off work when you have a baby. These include the following:

  • Parental Leave Pay helps eligible working parents take time off work to care for a newborn or recently adopted child
  • Dad and Partner Pay gives eligible dads and partners up to 2 weeks off work with a newborn or recently adopted child.

Read about the payments and services you may get if you're having a baby or adopting a child.

Raising children

Family Tax Benefit and Parenting Payment can help with the cost of raising children. This can be your birth, foster or adopted child. It can also be a grandchild.

Double Orphan Pension can help you care for children who are orphans. You may also be eligible if either:

  • 1 parent has died and the other can’t care for the child due to special circumstances
  • the child is a refugee and their parents can't care for them.

Rent Assistance and Telephone Allowance can make household costs easier if you get certain payments from us.

Help with child care

Child Care Subsidy helps with the cost of approved child care. Additional Child Care Subsidy gives some families extra help with child care fees. You may be able to get an additional subsidy if you're one of the following:

  • a grandparent or great grandparent
  • transitioning to work from certain income support payments
  • in temporary financial hardship.

We’ll pay these subsidies to your child care provider to reduce the fees you pay.

Time limits apply

Submit your claim early to make sure you get your full payment. There are time limits for claiming family payments.

When a child has died

If your baby was stillborn, your family may be eligible to get both of these payments:

If you’re not eligible for Parental Leave Pay for a stillborn baby, you may get the Stillborn Baby Payment.

You may also get Family Tax Benefit Bereavement Payment. You’ll get this if you’re eligible for Family Tax Benefit for a child who has died.

There is support you can get after someone has died.

Help with the cost of education

Youth Allowance helps full time students or apprentices who are 16 to 24 and either:

  • looking for work
  • sick.

If eligible, you can get Family Tax Benefit Part A for your children. They must be studying towards a year 12 or equivalent qualification. This will be up to the end of the calendar year they turn 19.

ABSTUDY is a group of payments for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students or Australian Apprentices.

Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme helps parents and carers of children who can’t go to a local government school. This is for any 1 of these reasons:

  • live in an isolated area
  • have disability
  • have special needs.

Pensioner Education Supplement and ABSTUDY Pensioner Education Supplement can help students. It can help with costs of full time or part time study, in a secondary or tertiary course. You need to get certain income support payments to get this.

Education Entry Payment is for people who get some income support payments to help with the cost of study.

Caring for a child with disability or a medical condition

Carer Adjustment Payment is a one off payment. It helps families when a child younger than 6 is diagnosed with one of the following:

  • a severe illness
  • medical condition
  • major disability.

Carer Payment supports you if you can’t work in substantial paid employment. This can be providing full time daily care to someone either:

  • with severe disability or medical condition
  • who is frail aged.

Carer Allowance is an income supplement for parents or carers. You need to provide daily care for someone for any 1 of these reasons:

  • have disability
  • have a medical condition
  • are frail aged.

Child Disability Assistance Payment is a yearly payment. It helps parents with the costs of caring for a child with disability.

Essential Medical Equipment Payment is a yearly payment to help with increases to home energy costs. This can be from the use of essential medical equipment to help manage disability or a medical condition.

Support with health care

We provide financial support to help families with the cost of health care.

Medicare can help with the cost of health care services or medicine.

Child Dental Benefits Schedule helps with the cost of basic dental services for children between 2 to 17.

Cleft Lip and Cleft Palate Scheme helps families with the cost of treatment for cleft lip and cleft palate conditions.

Continence Aids Payment Scheme helps people who have permanent and severe incontinence with the cost of incontinence products.

Household assistance

Each year, eligible households get Single Income Family Supplement.

You may get Energy Supplement with your regular payment.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information. You can use Payment and Service Finder to locate help in your local area.

Moneysmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read the Families section on the Moneysmart website.

Page last updated: 7 October 2021