Looking for work

Help while you look for work.

What payments are available while you look for work

There are 2 main income support payments:

You may get 1of these payments in any of the following situations. You’re:

  • looking for work
  • completing approved study or training to help you get a job.
  • sick or injured and can’t work for a short time.

You may get other payments. Use our Payment and Service Finder to help you find payments you may be eligible for.

Read about payments for job seekers.

Who can help you find work

Employment services providers can help you prepare for and look for work. They provide access to training as well as computers and phones to help you look for jobs.

We can refer you to a provider in your local area.


jobactive is a service that helps connect you with employers and find work. You can start looking for work now using the jobactive website.

You can read more about jobactive on the Department of Education, Skills and Employment website.

Disability Employment Services

Disability Employment Services can help you find and keep a job if you have disability, illness or injury.

Work Assist

Work Assist is a free program, run by Disability Employment Services. It can help if you’re at risk of losing your job due to illness, injury or disability.

Community Development Program

Helps job seekers who live in remote areas of Australia. You can gain skills that match local jobs so you can get work and contribute to your community.

Read about the Community Development Program on the National Indigenous Australians Agency website.

Transition to Work

Transition to Work helps young job seekers find:

  • work
  • study opportunities
  • apprenticeships
  • traineeships.

They can help you build your skills and confidence to find a job. Talk to a provider in your area.

You can find a provider to see if you’re eligible on the jobactive website.

You can read more about Transition to Work on the Department of Education, Skills and Employment website.

What support is available if you've lost your job

If you’ve lost your job and got a redundancy or termination payment, you may be able to get help.

There are services that can help if you’ve been retrenched or made redundant.

What other services are available

MoneySmart helps you make the most of your money. Read the losing your job section on their website.

The Department of Education, Skills and Employment has help for workers who have recently lost their job. It includes information for people made redundant from some companies in specific industries.

Australian Apprenticeships has information and resources about Australian Apprenticeships and the support available.

Beyond Blue provides knowledge and skills so you can protect your own mental health. It doesn’t matter how old you are or where you live. They can help if you have anxiety or stress while looking for work or studying.

MensLine Australia is a phone and online support service. They provide expert help to people affected by family and domestic violence. They also offer support to people using violence.

JobAccess helps people with a disability find a job.

JobSearch is a free website with job vacancies advertised across all industries and regions in Australia.

myfuture can help you to make career decisions, plan career pathways and manage work transitions.

Related subjects

Page last updated: 21 April 2020