Australians overseas

If you travel or live outside Australia this may affect your health care, child support and Centrelink payments.

Before you travel

Read COVID-19 information for Australian travellers on smartraveller on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website.

Please make sure you update your details before you travel. You can do this by signing in to your Centrelink online account through myGov. Or you can contact us.

Remember to buy travel insurance. If you’re not insured, you’ll need to pay for medical costs overseas.

What else to do

Check health coverage

If you’re travelling overseas for treatment, Medicare won’t cover you.

Countries that have a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with us may cover some of the cost. Check if you’re covered. This doesn’t replace travel insurance.

You’ll need your Medicare card to access treatment.

Organise medication and vaccinations

There are strict rules on travelling overseas with Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) medicine. You can carry your own for personal use, or for someone travelling with you. Make sure the medicine is legal in the country you're going to.

Get any vaccinations you need. Ask your vaccination provider to add them to the Australian Immunisation Register so they’re on your immunisation history statement. You need to provide proof you’ve been vaccinated against specific diseases to enter some countries. You can also carry a printed copy with you.

You can view Immunisation History Statements online for you or your child under 14. You’ll need to register for a Medicare online account first.

Check Centrelink payments

There are different rules that cover how travelling outside Australia may affect you. We can adjust your payments or concession cards or stop them based on these rules.

While you're overseas, make sure to tell us if your circumstances change.

If you live outside Australia and get a Centrelink payment, read Australian Pension News for the latest information.

Check Child Support

If you live outside Australia this may affect your child support.

If you’re leaving Australia please call us on the Child Support enquiry line before you leave. Your departure may affect how we manage your case.

If your circumstances change while overseas, call one of our Child Support international lines.

Social security agreements with other countries

Australia has international social security agreements with some countries. If you've lived in Australia and an agreement country, you may be able to claim payments from both countries.

Related subjects

Page last updated: 27 October 2021