Accommodation, renting and homelessness

We can help you to get information, payments and services if you need support.

You will need to give us proof of your rent arrangements to get Rent Assistance.

If you get certain payments from us we’ll assess your eligibility when you pay rent and you either:

  • tell us you’ve moved address
  • tell us the rent you pay has changed.

If you don’t get a payment from us we’ll assess your eligibility when you claim certain payments.

Manage your rent

There are many services that can help you manage your rent.

Rent Assistance gives you financial help. You can get it if you both:

  • pay rent, other than to a state or territory housing authority
  • get certain payments from us.

The Electronic Verification of Rent (EVoR) service helps make sure you get the right amount of Rent Assistance. It’s a service for both:

  • community housing organisations
  • supported accommodation providers.

It lets them verify your rent details and update us when your rent changes. Talk to them to see if they use it.

The Rent Deduction Scheme lets you pay your public housing rent straight from your Centrelink payments. You can arrange this with your state or territory housing authority. It’s a free service.

Centrepay is a service that lets you pay bills and expenses as regular deductions from your Centrelink payments. It’s free and voluntary. You can use it to pay your rent and other regular bills, such as child care and electricity.

Help in a crisis

Crisis Payment can help you if you’re going through difficult or extreme circumstances. It’s a one off payment.

If you’re affected by family and domestic violence, we can help you with information, resources and referrals.

We also have social workers you can talk to about your situation. They can help you with information, support and short term counselling

If you need help with payment and service information, visit one of our service centres or call us on your regular payment line.

Other support services

Homelessness Australia can help you if you’re homeless, or at risk of being homeless. They can give you information about services that can help you.

You can use Payment and Service Finder to find government and community organisation support in your local area. This can include counselling and mental health services.

Lifeline is a national charity open to all Australians in personal crisis. They have 24 hour crisis support and suicide prevention services.

headspace is the national youth mental health foundation. They can help young people going through a tough time.

Moneysmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read the Urgent Money Help section on the Moneysmart website.

Related subjects

Page last updated: 7 October 2021