Who can get it
You can get Rent Assistance if you get certain payments from us and pay rent.
You can get Rent Assistance if you pay rent and you're either getting:
- certain payments from us
- more than the base rate of Family Tax Benefit.
You must also pay 1 of the following:
- fees in a retirement village
- board and lodging
- site or mooring fees if your main home is a caravan, relocatable home or a boat.
You must pay more than a certain amount of rent each fortnight. How much Rent Assistance you can get depends on how much rent you pay.
Special rules for people living in a retirement village
Using the amount you paid when you entered the retirement village we assess if you’re either, a:
- home owner
- non-home owner.
If you’re assessed as a non-home owner you may get Rent Assistance. We base the assistance on your ongoing fees in the retirement village.
Special rules for young people
Special rules apply for some young people to get Rent Assistance with some payments.
These depend on both:
- your payment type
- if you live with a parent or guardian.
We consider that you live with a parent or guardian if you live in the same home with them.
We don’t consider that you live with them if you live in an investment property or self-contained area without them. Fully self-contained areas may include things like granny flats and caravans. Your fully self-contained area may be on the same block of land that their home is on. Read more about special rules to get Rent Assistance with:
- ABSTUDY Living Allowance
- Disability Support Pension
- JobSeeker Payment and Sickness Allowance
- Youth Allowance.
Who can’t get it
You won’t get Rent Assistance if:
- you're leasing from a state or territory housing authority
- you own or are buying the home you live in, except relocatable homes
- you’re travelling away from the home you own for less than 12 months
- the Australian Government pays a subsidy to the approved residential aged care facility where you live
- your partner gets Rent Assistance with Family Tax Benefit
- you get an allowance and your partner gets Rent Assistance with their pension.
To get Rent Assistance with ABSTUDY Living Allowance, you must meet some special rules.
To get Rent Assistance with DSP, you must meet some special rules.
To get Rent Assistance with JobSeeker Payment or Sickness Allowance, you must meet some special rules.
Page last updated: 20 March 2020
This information was printed 30 May 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/rent-assistance/who-can-get-it. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.