Travel outside Australia

There are rules about how long your card remains current when you travel outside Australia.

What the rules are

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your card will be cancelled on departure.

If you leave Australia on a temporary basis, your card will remain current for up to 6 weeks. After 6 weeks, your card will be cancelled and you will need to reapply once you return to Australia.

When to tell us about your travel

You should tell us about your travel if you’re leaving Australia either:

  • to live in another country
  • for more than 6 weeks.

Otherwise, you don’t need to tell us that you’re leaving Australia. Australia's immigration department will tell us when you leave and return.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get information on how your travel could affect your payments and concession cards. You may need to call us on the Youth and students line to discuss your circumstances further.

Learn how to register for an online account if you don’t already have one.

If you can’t use an online account, tell us your travel plans by either:

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 10 December 2020