Travel outside Australia

There are rules about how long your card remains current when you travel outside Australia.

What the rules are

If you or your foster child leave Australia to live in another country, your card will be cancelled on departure.

If your foster child leaves Australia on a temporary basis, your concession card will remain current for up to 6 weeks.

After 6 weeks, your card will be cancelled. You will need to reapply once your foster child returns to Australia.

When to tell us about your travel

You should tell us if either:

  • you or your foster child are leaving to live in another country
  • your foster child will be away for more than 6 weeks.

Otherwise you don't need to tell us about travel plans for you or your foster child. Australia's immigration department will advise us when you or your foster child leave and return.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get information on how your travel could affect your payments and concession cards. You may need to call us on the Families line to discuss your circumstances further.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 11 December 2020