Transfer Carer Payment or Carer Allowance from child to adult

You can request to transfer Carer Payment or Carer Allowance you’re getting for a child, to an adult payment. To do this, the child you provide care for must be turning 16.

When the child you provide care for turns 16

The assessment rules for child care receivers and adult care receivers are different. When a child care receiver turns 16, we’ll check that they meet the rules for an adult care receiver.

If you don’t apply for the transfer to adult payment, your Carer Payment or Carer Allowance may stop when the child you provide care for turns 16.

When you can apply to transfer

You don’t have to contact us. We’ll write to you when the child you provide care for turns 15 years and 9 months. If the child has a terminal illness, you can apply to transfer when they turn 17 years and 9 months. We’ll tell you the date you must apply by when we write to you.

When you apply, we have to make an assessment under the rules for a person 16 or older getting care. We'll send you a letter with the decision.

What happens if you do nothing

If you don’t apply by the date we tell you, we'll stop your Carer Payment, Carer Allowance or both. We’ll also stop your Pension Concession Card and Carer Allowance Health Care Card.

If you have a Carer Allowance Health Care Card only, it will stop when the child turns 16.

How to apply to transfer

When you become eligible to apply, we'll write to you telling you how to do this. We’ll send it either:

  • to your myGov Inbox if you’re registered to get your Centrelink letters online
  • by post.

If you don’t get your Centrelink letters to your myGov Inbox, you can create a myGov account. If you need help you can use our create a myGov account online guide. Once you’ve created a myGov account you can link it to your Centrelink online account.

Start your transfer request online

If you get Centrelink letters in your myGov Inbox, we’ll send you a link there. It will take you straight to the Child to Adult Transfer online service. This link is secure.

You can also select Child to Adult Transfer in your Centrelink online account from either the:

  • Tasks section
  • Payments and Claims section.

You can also view our request to transfer online guide.

Nominees can request a transfer by choosing the person they are nominee for from their own Centrelink online account.

Apply to transfer by form

If you can’t apply online, you can download, print and complete these forms:

If you can’t download and print the forms we can send them to you. Call the Disability, sickness and carers line and ask us to send the forms to you.

Mail the completed forms to the address on the forms or submit them at a service centre.

Documents you'll need to provide

We'll tell you what documents you need to give us when you’ve answered the questions on the transfer request.

You'll always need to provide a new medical report for the person you provide care for.

You may need to provide identity documents for yourself.

Learn how to prove your identity.

Page last updated: 22 October 2021