Supporting documents

When claiming Austudy there’s information and documents you’ll need to complete your claim.

What are common documents

These are the documents you’ll usually need to answer questions in the claim. Having them ready will help you finish your claim and not delay the process.

As you complete your claim you’ll answer questions that trigger requests for certain documents or information. Below are documents we usually ask for, you may not need all of them.

Documents Details
  • tax file number
  • bank account details
  • savings, term deposits, mortgage offsets or overseas account details
  • payslips - 8 weeks
  • planned and previous course details
  • scholarship and enrolment details
  • any income you earn, such as from work, a small business or an investment property
  • employer separation certificates, if you recently stopped work
Living arrangements
  • rent certificate – if you pay rent to your parents they’ll need to sign a statutory declaration. You’ll need to get it signed and declared true before an authorised witness
  • housing, rental property or real estate details
  • student or campus accommodation
  • partner details, including citizenship, study, work and income details
  • separation details

What other documents you may need

As well as some of the common documents, you might need to complete and submit these documents.

Your situation Forms you may need to complete
have paid superannuation Superannuation details
have trusts, companies, assets, investments, bonds or shares Provide statements or information about these
share of a property's asset value and income Income and Asset information
have a private company Private Company details
have a private trust Private Trust details

When to provide documents

You’ll need to give us the documents listed as required on your Next steps page in your online claim. You’ll need to provide these before you can submit your claim.

Other documents we may need will be listed as supplementary. You should try to provide your supplementary documents to us at the same time as your required documents. You have up to 14 days after you submit your claim to give them to us. But we might be able to process your claim quicker if you give them to us at the same time.

We may ask you for more information as we work through your claim and assess your circumstances.

If we need more documents from you after you’ve submitted your claim, we’ll ask you for them. We’ll put your claim on hold until you send us the documents. If you don’t provide them within 14 days of the request, we may reject your claim.

How to submit your documents

You can upload documents in your Centrelink online account or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app. You can also send them by mail, fax, or by visiting a service centre.

If you’ve confirmed your identity with a photo ID at a service centre, you can submit other identity documents online.

Page last updated: 19 February 2020