Who can be one

To be eligible to become an assurer for an assurance of support you must meet certain criteria.

To be an assurer you must do all of the following:

  • pass the income test for the current and previous financial year
  • be an Australian resident
  • be 18 or older
  • give us proof of identity
  • be able to get a bank guarantee if we ask for one.

An organisation can be an assurer too. To do this they must both be:

  • a genuine incorporated or unincorporated organisation
  • able to support the assure.

They need to give us proof of both:

  • registration
  • recent steady trading history before the date they apply.

The organisation must be genuine and not just recently set up in order to give an assurance of support.

To prove an organisation is genuine we need to see all of the following:

  • tax returns
  • letters from their accountant
  • a statement from the Australian Securities Investments Commission (ASIC).

Check if you’re eligible

You need to pass an income test to be eligible.

The income you need to pass this test depends on all of the following:

  • how many people are in your immediate family
  • if you’ll have 1 or 2 adult assurees
  • if you’ll be the only assurer or giving a joint assurance
  • how many dependent children you have.

Use our Assurance of Support checker to work out if you are eligible to be an assurer. This will also let you know if you meet the financial requirements.

If you’re an organisation, the income test doesn’t apply to you. However, you may need to give us a bank guarantee.

If you’re still not sure if you’re eligible either:

Next: How long it lasts

The assurance of support period depends on the type of visa you apply for. It can last for 1, 2, 4 or 10 years.

Page last updated: 18 November 2020