How it works

An Assurance of Support is a legal agreement you make with us to help someone get a visa to live in Australia. It's your promise to pay us back for any income support we give them.

Assurer and Assuree

If you give an Assurance of Support you’re the assurer.

An assurer must live in Australia and be:

  • at least 18 years of age
  • an Australian resident or organisation
  • able to give proof of income for the existing and previous financial year.

The assuree is the visa applicant you support.

The assuree can be a family of up to 2 adults and their dependent children.

Who needs an assurer

After someone applies for a visa, the Department of Home Affairs will:

  • decide if they’re in a visa category that needs an Assurance of Support, or
  • issue an AoS Request letter if they need one.

How you become an assurer

You need to apply. After we get your application, we’ll contact you to discuss:

  • what you need to do as an assurer
  • if you can meet these obligations.

Bank guarantee and term deposit

As an assurer, you may need to give us a bank guarantee and term deposit through the Commonwealth Bank of Australia. This will depend on the visa subclass the assuree has applied for.

This is to make sure you can pay us back if your assuree gets a payment from us.

If you want to cancel

You can’t cancel an Assurance of Support once the Department of Home Affairs issues the visa. You’ll need to wait until the Assurance of Support expires.

This is the rule even if any of the following occurs:

  • your assuree becomes an Australian citizen
  • your visa that was issued by the Department of Home Affairs changes
  • your relationship breaks down
  • you’re in financial hardship.

We may cancel the agreement if the sole assurer or assuree dies.

Page last updated: 1 July 2022