How it works

An assurance of support is a legal agreement you make with us to help someone get a visa to live in Australia. It's your promise to pay us back for any income support we give them.

Assurer and assuree

If you give an assurance of support you’re the assurer.

The assuree is the visa applicant you support. It can be a family of up to 2 adults and their dependent children.

An assurer must be an Australian resident or organisation. Usually it’s a family member of the assuree.

Who needs one

After someone applies for a visa, the Department of Home Affairs either:

  • decides if they’re in a visa category that needs an assurance of support
  • writes to them to say if they need one.

How you become an assurer

You need to apply. After we get your application we’ll have an interview with you to discuss both:

  • what you need to do as an assurer
  • if you can meet these obligations.

Bank guarantee

As an assurer you may need to give us a bank guarantee through the Commonwealth Bank.

This is to make sure you can pay us back if your assuree needs a payment from us.

If you want to cancel

Once you give an assurance of support, you can’t cancel it.

This is the rule even if any of the following occurs:

  • your assuree becomes an Australian citizen
  • your relationship with them breaks down
  • you’re in financial hardship.

We may cancel the agreement if your assuree dies.

Next: Who can be one

To be eligible to become an assurer for an assurance of support you must meet certain criteria.

Page last updated: 15 November 2019