There are 2 types of assurance of support. Which one you need depends on the visa type.


To get some types of visas you must have an assurance of support. These are any of the following:

  • an aged dependent relative visa
  • a contributory parent or contributory aged parent visa
  • a parent or aged parent visa
  • a remaining relative visa.

The assurer must give a bank guarantee for all visa types.


Some visas may need an assurance of support. It's up to the Department of Home Affairs to decide in each case. These visa types are any of the following:

  • adoption
  • child
  • former resident
  • orphaned relative under 18
  • a humanitarian entrant visa under the Community Support Program.

Read more about the Community Support Program on the Department of Home Affairs website.

If the assurer is an incorporated or unincorporated organisation, they may need to give a bank guarantee.

Page last updated: 10 December 2021