Support for people affected by the Victorian storms and floods

18 June 2021

We have payments to help you if you’ve been directly affected by the Victorian storms and floods in June 2021.

The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment is a lump sum payment of:

  • $1,000 for eligible adults
  • $400 for each eligible child under the age of 16.

You can claim a payment if you’ve been seriously affected as a direct result of the storms and floods. For example:

  • your home has been severely damaged or destroyed
  • you’ve been seriously injured.

You can also claim Disaster Recovery Allowance if you’ve lost income as a direct result of the storms and floods. If you’re eligible, you can get it for up to 13 weeks, starting from the date you lose income.

The Disaster Recovery Allowance is taxable. You can ask us to withhold tax deductions from your payments.

You can’t get the allowance if you get any of the following payments during your claim period:

To be eligible, you need to meet the Local Government Area (LGA) criteria and other rules. Check to see if you’re eligible for the following payments:

If you have a partner, you can both get a payment. You just need to make separate claims.

Centrelink debt

If you’ve been affected by this disaster and you owe money, you can adjust or stop your payment arrangement. You can do this using the Money you owe service either through:

If you need to, you can stop your payment arrangement for up to 3 months.

You can also contact us if you’re experiencing financial hardship or have any questions about your debt.

Next steps

Read more about what support is available if you’ve been affected by the floods.

If you’re going through a difficult time, our social workers can help.

Use our Payment and Service Finder to see what other payments you may be eligible for.

If you’re a job seeker or participant, you can contact your provider for more information about your requirements.

You may be eligible for other payments instead such as:

  • Crisis Payment, a one-off payment if you’ve experienced an extreme circumstance and are in severe financial hardship
  • one of our payments for job seekers, if you’re looking for work or unable to do your usual work or study.

Page last updated: 25 June 2021