We review this test on 20 September each year in line with the Consumer Price Index.
The income test will look at both your:
To meet the income test, from 20 September 2021, you must earn no more than the following:
- $57,761 a year if you’re single
- $92,416 a year for couples
- $115,522 a year for couples separated by illness, respite care or prison.
Add $639.60 to these amounts for each child in your care.
There is no assets test.
Account based income streams
We look at your account based income streams as part of the income test. Account based income streams include account based pensions and account based annuities.
The balance of an account based income stream is subject to deeming. Deeming assumes that financial investments are earning a certain rate of income.
Deeming rules will only apply if any of the following occurs:
- you bought or changed it on or after 1 January 2015
- you own it and we granted your Commonwealth Seniors Health Card after 31 December 2014
- your partner owns it and they are 60 years old or more.
Read about account based income streams on the Department of Social Services website.