How to apply online
If you already have a provider number, you may be able to apply for an additional provider number through Health Professional Online Services (HPOS).
You'll be able to see your new provider number instantly.
We recommend you wait 2 business days before you submit claims with the new number.
You'll need to provide your organisation’s details when you create additional provider numbers. You have to complete this field to continue to create a new Medicare provider number.
Follow these steps to create an additional provider number:
- select My details, then My provider numbers
- select Create a new provider location and read the privacy note
- select Next to provide address details
- select Next to provide contact details
- select Next to provide your organisation’s details
- select Next to provide banking details
- select the acknowledgement checkbox
- select Next to provide declaration if/not relevant
- select Submit location.
Your bank details for the new location will be pending if someone creates a new location on your behalf. You’ll need to access My banking details in HPOS to approve these.
You can manage your provider numbers, practice details and locations in HPOS.
If you can’t apply online
You may not be able to apply for an additional provider number online. If you can’t apply online you’ll need to use a paper form.
- an overseas trained doctor
- a foreign graduate of an accredited medical school
- a specialist trainee on a section 3GA placement
- a Medicare Urgent Care Clinic (UCC) health professional providing Medicare UCC Services.
Read more about Medicare UCCS and how to register for an additional provider number on our Health Professional Education Resources website.
- a nurse practitioner
- a midwife.
Send or fax the completed form and your other documents to Medicare Provider.