How it works

First you’ll need to authorise your rent deduction with your housing authority.

Then all of the following will happen:

  • we’ll take your rent from your regular Centrelink payment and give it to your housing authority
  • you’ll still need to pay your rent until you get a letter from us
  • your letter will tell you when your rent deductions start paying to your housing authority.

If we can’t deduct the full amount of rent

We can’t deduct the full amount of rent if your Centrelink payment either:

  • gets suspended
  • lowers because of your income or other deductions, leaving you without enough to cover your rent.

If this happens, you’ll need to contact your housing authority to organise paying the rest of your rent.

If your Centrelink payments get cancelled

We can’t deduct your rent if your Centrelink payments get cancelled.

If you missed paying your rent you must organise to pay it directly with your housing authority.

If your payment starts again within 13 weeks, your deduction will restart on your next pay.

If your payment starts after 13 weeks, contact your housing authority to restart your rent payments.

If you move between payments

If you move to a new Centrelink payment, your deduction may continue.

Ask us about your rent deduction amount when your new payment starts.

Page last updated: 1 February 2023.
QC 51777