Get information about Parenting Payment and Child Support

You may be able to get Parenting Payment and add your baby to a current child support assessment.

Submitting a claim for Parenting Payment

You can submit your claim for Parenting Payment after your baby is born.

This is an income support payment while you’re a young child’s principal carer.

Contacting us about child support

If you or your partner have a current child support assessment, you may be able to add your newborn child. We’ll add your baby to the assessment as a relevant dependent child. We can only add the child to the assessment once you notify Child Support.

Read more about assessments for parents with second families or call us on the Child Support Enquiry line.

We can help you learn about child support. This includes deciding on the the type of child support arrangement that's right for you.

Page last updated: 10 December 2021