Employment Separation Certificates for employers

Employment Separation Certificates help us pay people the right amount from the correct date. You need to complete the certificate within 14 days of the request.

We may ask you to complete an Employment Separation Certificate when any of the following applies:

  • someone stops working for you
  • your employee decreases their working hours or changes from full time to casual work.

An employee or former employee can also ask for an Employment Separation Certificate.

Submit the certificate online

The easiest way to complete and submit an Employment Separation Certificate is online through Business Hub.

Register for Business Hub services

To submit Employment Separation Certificates, register your business in Business Hub. You don’t have to register again if you’re already registered for the Paid Parental Leave scheme.

If you need help with registration, read how to access Business Hub.

For more information, or if you don’t have an Australian Business Number (ABN), please call us on 131 158.

Other ways to submit the certificate

If you can't use Business Hub, you can download, print and fill out the Employment Separation Certificate form. You can then hand it back to the employee, or fax it to us on 132 115.

You can also provide the information on your business letterhead. You, or a pay officer you have authorised, should sign the certificate and keep a copy for your own records.

Circumstances other than termination of employment

You may need to complete a certificate in circumstances other than termination of employment. Use the Reason for separation section to provide more information. For example, you can provide more detail about a decrease in working hours or a change from full time to casual work.

Freedom of Information and the certificate

All the information contained in, or attached to, the certificate may be released to any person under the Freedom of Information Act 1982.

If you want any of this information treated in confidence, please attach a statement indicating which information, and give your reasons. This will be considered if a request is made under the Freedom of Information Act 1982.

Page last updated: 3 March 2022.