Dental practitioner requirements

It is voluntary to participate in the Child Dental Benefits Schedule.

From 1 July 2022, you can provide services under the Child Dental Benefits Schedule (CDBS) if you have a Medicare provider number and you’re one of the following:

  • dental hygienist
  • dental therapist
  • oral health therapist.

Who can provide services

To provide services, you must be recognised to provide dental services under Medicare.

Another practitioner can provide services on behalf of a dentist or dental specialist. The person providing the services must hold general registration with the Dental Board of Australia. They can be:

  • dental hygienists
  • dental therapists
  • oral health therapists
  • dental prosthetists.

The dental practitioner must perform all services in accordance with accepted dental practice. This includes any supervision requirements.

There are separate administrative arrangements for dentists working in public dental clinics. Contact your state or territory government for more information.

Before performing any services, you must:

Informed financial consent for schedule services

You must discuss the treatment and costs for basic dental services with your patient before providing the service. If the patient, or their parent or guardian, agrees to the services and cost, they must sign the consent form.

How you bill your patient determines the consent form they must complete. The forms are on the Department of Health and Aged Care website:

Translated Informed Financial Consent Forms are available on the Department of Health and Aged Care website.

Record keeping

You must keep adequate records for audit purposes for 4 years from the date of service.

You must keep:

  • patient consent forms - the type of form depends on how you bill your patient
  • clinical notes including notes about the particular tooth or teeth a CDBS service relates to
  • any other relevant documents, such as itemised accounts or receipts showing you provided the claimed services.

Page last updated: 7 July 2022